Create a The Golden Mirror pumpkin
Create your own The Golden Mirror pumpkin using the instructions below. Happy Halloween!
Difficulty level: 2
You will need
- A pumpkin
- The Golden Mirror stencil (PDF below)
- A sharp knife
- A large spoon
- Push-pin or small sharp object
- A small light or candle
How to make your Golden Mirror pumpkin
- Print the stencil.
- Carefully cut a hole in the top of the pumpkin to create the lid. Be sure to angle your blade inward to create a ledge for the lid.
- Scoop out the seeds and strings with a spoon. Scrape the flesh from the inside of the pumpkin until it is about 2.5 cm thick where you would like to carve. Scrape the bottom until it is smooth so that it will keep a light level.
- Trim excess paper, leaving a 1-cm border around the pattern. Fold along crease lines if necessary and tape onto the pumpkin.
- Poke holes through the pattern along the dotted lines using a push pin or a small sharp object. Slice into the skin of the pumpkin gently along the solid lines, in the middle of the pumpkin. Remove the paper once the pattern is fully transferred onto the pumpkin.
- Carve dot to dot, while keeping the blade at a 90° angle and being careful not to apply too much pressure to the pumpkin. Start from the centre out. To change direction, remove the blade and then reinsert it. Push the cut pieces out gently from the inside out.
- Carefully cut away or scrape enough skin to allow light to pass through along the solid cut lines, in the middle of the pumpkin. Keep these lines thin (1 to 3 mm).
- Place light inside and put the lid back on. Deepen the cut if necessary.
Tag the Canadian Space Agency (@CanadianSpaceAgency) in your Webb pumpkin photos on Instagram and we might just share them.
With NASA's authorization. Stencils created by Leah Hustak.
- Date modified: