The health and safety of young Canadians and our personnel is our top priority. Given the continued impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have decided to transform the Junior Astronaut Camp into a virtual edition in summer . Registration is now closed.
The Canadian Space Agency's (CSA's) Junior Astronauts campaign and its recruitment aim to inspire youth to pursue careers in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) with a focus on skills specifically required to become an astronaut.
By participating in the junior astronauts recruitment, participants are deemed to have read, understood and accepted the following Terms and Conditions.
The Junior Astronauts recruitment (hereinafter, the recruitment) is for youth completing schooling at the grades 6 to 9 levels in Canada (grade 6 to secondary 3 in Quebec).
Participants' parents or legal guardians are invited to register their youth for the Junior Astronauts Recruitment and fulfill the eligibility criteria to give the youth a chance to participate in the Junior Astronaut Virtual Camp being run in the summer of .
Who can participate?
A participant is eligible to enter the contest if they are completing schooling at the grade 6 to 9 level in the - school year (or the - school year for those registered before ) within one of the ten provinces or three territories in Canada.
How can I participate?
The eligible participant is required to complete at least one activity in all three streams.
- After an activity is completed, the organization/school will issue a certificate to the participant confirming participation the activity. A parent can issue a certificate if the activity is completed at home due to the COVID-19 public health measures. Three types of certificates are available to the organization/school/parent on the portal, one for each of the streams. One of each type of certificate will be required to apply for the recruitment.
- Participants must also create a video, no shorter than one (1)minute and no longer than two (2) minutes in line with the video requirements set out below.
- A parent/legal guardian of an eligible participant must visit the Junior Astronauts portal to set up a username and password for themselves and follow the on-screen directions to complete and submit the online registration.
- Once the duly completed online registration form is submitted, an email will be sent to confirm the parent/legal guardian's email address. After confirming the email, the parent/legal guardian will be required to sign in using the username and password to complete the entry package within the prescribed timeframe. The entry package should include all information and documents requested and necessary for supporting the application, namely:
- the duly completed online entry form;
- digital copies (scan or photo) of the certificates of participation issued for each of the three activity streams;
- a link to a social media video post responding to the video requirements of the recruitment (found below).
- The form will allow a parent/legal guardian to apply on behalf several children from the same family.
- The CSA may require the parents/legal guardians to provide the originals of the signed consent forms at any time during the recruitment. Failing to provide these original documents or send them within the requested time frame will result in the youth's participation being rejected.
Entries will be accepted from , at 12:00 p.m. (ET) to , at 11:59 p.m. (PT).
It is the participant's parent/legal guardian's sole responsibility to ensure that the complete entry for draw has been submitted within the prescribed time frame.
When applying, the participant and their parent/legal guardian agree and certify:
- that the information, statements and all documents submitted are complete, true and accurate;
- that, in the event of a discrepancy or contradiction, these Terms and Conditions take precedence over all other documents pertaining to the recruitment;
- that the CSA may, at any time and at its sole discretion, cancel, modify, extend or suspend the recruitment. In such a case, no liability shall be incurred by the CSA;
- that the CSA may, at any time and at its sole discretion, reject any application that fails to comply with these Terms and Conditions, attempts to participate in the recruitment in any manner or by any means other than those described in these Terms and Conditions, attempts to disrupt the recruitment or circumvent any rule in these Terms and Conditions;
- the CSA may, at any time and at its sole discretion, reject any application that contains content that is deemed inappropriate or offensive;
- that the CSA cannot be held responsible for any rejected, lost, delayed applications or any delay or problem in the sending, processing, receiving or review of applications;
- that the CSA cannot be held responsible for any delay, problem or damage resulting from the use of a social media platform.
- that the CSA may, at any time, verify eligibility requirements with the parent/legal guardian;
- that the CSA may, at any time, require the parent/legal guardian to provide it with any document or additional information for the purpose of verifying the application;
- that there is no fee to enter this recruitment, and no purchase is necessary. However, participants and their parent/legal guardian are fully responsible for all expenses incurred in connection with their application to the recruitment, including submitting their application, participation in the activities and preparation and submission of their video entry.
- that the participant and their parent/legal guardian will, at all times, comply with all Canadian laws as well as these Terms and Conditions;
The Junior Astronauts recruitment is not open to employees, immediate family members of employees or persons living under the same roof as an employee of the CSA.
Participants must create a video showcasing them, a future junior astronaut! We are looking for video entries that address the question "Why I should be chosen to be a CSA junior astronaut".
Videos will not be judged. They will be verified for required content, appropriateness and compliance with the Terms and Conditions (including music or making an elaborate montage will not increase your chance of being selected).
A parent/legal guardian must post the video within an open profile on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram using #JuniorAstronauts and #AstronautesJuniors or through YouTube, as a public or unlisted video. Entries will be declared invalid if they are posted as an Instagram or Facebook story.
Through the recruitment entry form in your Junior Astronauts account, provide the URL or link to the video posted on the social media platform of choice.
Videos must be presented in English or French.
Videos must be no shorter than one (1) minute and no longer than two (2) minutes in length.
To submit the entry video, the participant's parent/legal guardian must use a registered user account in the social media platform of choice and agree to all applicable terms at of that site. Entry video file size limitation and file format must adhere to the specifications of the social media site used.
Videos may not be submitted in any other format or through any other digital channel (unless submission format accommodation has been specifically requested and pre-approved by the CSA).
When using YouTube to submit an unlisted video, set the video's privacy settings to "Unlisted" (do not select "private"), and note the unique URL that YouTube has given the video, and provide the URL in the Participant's entry form. The Participant's parent/legal guardian may disable the comments section of the video if they so choose.
Videos may contain images of the identified participant only. Entries will be declared invalid if anyone other than the participant appears in the video.
Video entries will be declared invalid if they are late, illegible, incomplete, irregular, forged, garbled or reproduced.
Video entries will be declared invalid if any third party trademarks, brands and/or logos such as sports team logos, businesses, restaurants or coffee chains, etc. are used or displayed, either in a photograph, a drawing or in a piece of creative writing, or in any part of the video, obviously or subliminally.
Video entries will be declared invalid if they negatively depict another person, nation, country, ethnicity, race, religion, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation or disability.
Video entries will be declared invalid if they contain content deemed offensive or inappropriate including but not limited to nudity, vulgarity or violence.
Only the participant for whom the parent/legal guardian has registered for and submitted a complete entry package is eligible.
Upon request, accommodations can be made on a case-by-case basis for participants with accessibility or other needs. Please contact us by email.
Privacy notice statement
The CSA is committed to protecting personal information collected through the recruitment.
Participation in the Junior Astronauts recruitment involves the collection and use of personal information by the CSA. The CSA will use the participant and parent/legal guardian's personal information for the purposes of determining recruitment eligibility and to contact the winners of the Junior Astronauts recruitment. The personal information collected is described in the Outreach Activities (PSU 938) Personal Information Bank.
All personal information provided is protected pursuant to the Privacy Act. In accordance with the Privacy Act, participants have the right to access their personal information and request changes to incorrect information.
Participants may contact the CSA Access to Information and Privacy Office to access their personal information or to notify about incorrect information.
Four winners per province and territory (for a total of 52 prizes) will be chosen through random draw to participate in the Junior Astronaut Virtual Camp.
Once drawn, validation of entry requirements (including proof of completed activities through submitted certificates and completed and relevant video submission) will be completed to ensure legitimacy of the application. If the randomly drawn entry does not adhere to the entry requirements, a subsequent draw will be made until four (4) participants per province and territory are chosen to participate in the Junior Astronaut Virtual Camp.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are currently working on transforming our camp into a virtual edition. The schedule will be provided as soon as possible.
Each winner and their parents/legal guardians may be required to complete and sign documents, including, but not limited to, a "Disclosure of Personal Information; a Privacy Notice, and Consent form" in order to receive their prize. Documents will be sent in an email to the winner's parent/legal guardian that will be required to confirm participation.
Prizes are offered by the CSA. Prizes must be accepted as awarded – no substitution, transfers or exchanges will be permitted. Prize must be accepted as described in these Terms and Conditions and cannot be transferred to another individual. Prize will be awarded only on verification by the CSA that all requirements have been met by the potential winner. If for any reason a selected entrant cannot be reached through the contact information provided, or does not respond within five (5) business days of being contacted, or if there is any reason a winner cannot accept the prize as awarded, his/her application will be declared null and void, and another selection will be made among the video entries.
The prize will be awarded after the random selection process and upon validation that the current Terms and Conditions have been respected by the participant. The chance of winning will depend on the number of entries received.
No correspondence will be made with or entered into between the CSA and participants except with the confirmed winners and parent/legal guardian.
Release and exclusion of liability
By entering or attempting to enter the Junior Astronauts recruitment, each entrant and/or purported entrant, and their parent/guardian, agree: to release, discharge, and forever hold harmless Her Majesty the Queen in right of Canada, the CSA and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents from any and all claims, actions, damages, injuries, demands, manner of actions, causes of action, suits, debts, duties, accounts, bonds, covenants, warranties, indemnities, claims over, contracts and liabilities of whatever nature or kind arising out of, or in connection with the entrant's participation or attempted participation in this recruitment. This is including but not limited to participation in the activities, preparation or publication of the video and use of external websites or social media platforms.
The CSA will not be responsible for lost, incomplete, late or misdirected entries or for any failure of its website nor for any damage resulting from the use of YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram or for any of these platforms' performance. The CSA will not be responsible for any technical malfunction or other problems with any telephones networks or lines, computer online systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment or software or for any technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet.
A winners list may be posted on the Junior Astronauts campaign Website after all winners have been confirmed.
French and English are the official languages of Canada. The Government of Canada is committed to supporting the vitality and development of the English and French language minorities in Canada and encouraging full recognition of the use of French and English in Canadian society. Participants and their parents/legal guardians can apply and require that they be contacted and served in the official language of their choice.
- Date modified: