Evaluation Summary of the implementation of Gender-Based Analysis Plus at the Canadian Space Agency
Gender-Based Analysis Plus (GBA Plus) is an analytical process used to assess the potential positive and negative impacts of Government policies, programs and initiatives on diverse groups of women, men and non-binary people, and then apply corrective measures to mitigate negatives impacts, if applicable.
About the Evaluation
Constructive approach focused on implementation, and first thematic evaluation at the CSA.
Assesses the relevance, effectiveness and efficiency of CSA's practices between & .
Document and literature review, benchmarking study, internal survey and interviews.
Needs of Target Populations
Inspire groups of people who are under-represented in STEM
Identify and eliminate prejudices and unconscious bias
Consider social impacts of CSA's activities
CSA's Implementation of GBA Plus Practices
- Responsibility Center
Senior executive GBA Plus Champion & 12 Points of Contact
- Needs Assessment
Action Plan for Increasing GBA Plus Capacity and Implementation
- Policy Statement
CSA Policy on GBA Plus
- Training & Tools
Mandatory training & Intranet Page for templates, data and completed GBA Plus assessments
- Pilot Initiative
- Ongoing monitoring of progress
Only through Reports to Parliament and program
Perspectives of CSA employees
79% said GBA Plus is 68% important in the space field
76% said GBA Plus is a priority for senior management
75% said they have their supervisors' support to develop strategies and initiatives promoting GBA Plus
13% said they developed GBA Plus strategies or initiatives
68% satisfied how GBA Plus is handled within the CSA
54% said the CSA has a clear vision of how it plans to promote GBA Plus
39% said GBA Plus influenced decision-making and/or design and delivery of program.
76% said they have their supervisors' support to draft or review GBA Plus assessments and/or assess their quality
36% said they have the time they need to draft or review GBA Plus assessments
Support from the Responsibility Center
Values & commitment of certain employees
Lack of GBA Plus knowledge
Unclear vision and expectations
Shortage of spacerelated disaggregated data
GBA Plus being done as an afterthought
Lack of accountability, follow-up and monitoring
- Determine the appropriate place for the GBA Plus Responsibility Center within the CSA and resume the GBA Plus Committee.
- Compile and organize existing disaggregated data for the space sector, generate analyses and render data and analyses accessible to all CSA employees.
- Clarify the CSA's main GBA Plus objectives and expectations, and implement mechanism to monitor progress and report on the impacts of GBA Plus.
- Resume GBA Plus awareness activities across the CSA to demonstrate the importance, utility and concrete applicability of GBA Plus in the space sector.
- Integrate GBA Plus in the CSA's Departmental Results Framework and in the CSA's three Program Information Profiles.
- Date modified: