Earth in numbers – Infographic
2022-12-21 - Infographic featuring an image of Earth along with a series of facts. (Credit: Canadian Space Agency)
This infographic features an image of Earth along with a series of facts.
- A graphic shows Earth's orbit around the Sun.
- The distance from Earth to the Sun ranges from 147 to 152 million kilometres depending on Earth's orbit.
- Earth is the biggest and densest rocky planet in the solar system.
- Earth is the fifth largest planet in the solar system.
- It takes Earth 365.26 days to make one revolution around the Sun. Every four years, a full day is added to our calendar to create a "leap year."
- It takes Earth 23 hours and 56 minutes to complete one rotation on its axis.
- Earth is the only planet known to be inhabited by living things. Its atmosphere is 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and 1% other gases. 71% of its surface is covered by water, which is present on Earth in three states: solid, liquid, and gas.
- The tilt of Earth's axis is 23.4 degrees with respect to its orbit around the Sun. This tilt causes the seasons.
- Earth is the only planet in the solar system with a single moon. Earth's Moon is the only other place that humans have visited.
- Earth is not a perfect sphere. Due to its rotation, Earth bulges around its centre, forming a shape known as an oblate spheroid.
Copyright / Permission to reproduce
- Date modified: