Canada is going to the Moon! Our country is part of the NASA-led Lunar Gateway program, and the Junior Astronauts campaign will allow Canadian youth to test their skills and knowledge, understand how they can play a role in this important endeavour and get excited about space and science.
How does it work?
It's easy! Activities that are designed for youth in grades 6 to 9 and focused on three streams — science and technology, fitness and nutrition, and communications and teamwork — are available on the Junior Astronauts portal. Designed to be run in schools or youth organizations during school year -, these activities are:
- curriculum-friendly: all proposed activities have been designed to build skills targeted in existing curricula from across the country.
- free to download, low cost to run: little to no materials required.
- customizable: select all activities from all streams, or just a few – you choose!
- adaptable: activities can be tailored to a range of group sizes and ability levels.
- linked to astronaut missions: get youth excited about their future in science, technology, engineering, and math through space – a universe of possibilities awaits!
- and beyond: encourage your youngsters to strengthen cross-curricular competencies with fun, interactive ways to highlight the importance of healthy living and team-building skills.
Educators! Enter our contest!
Educators who complete at least one stream activity with their group can enter a draw to win a visit from an astronaut or space expert for their school or organization. We will randomly select institutions from every province and territory. The more streams you participate in, the more chances you'll get (up to three)!
Kids! Become a junior astronaut!
The Canadian Space Agency (CSA)'s Junior Astronaut Recruitment is a national recruitment for youth who have participated in all three streams. Qualified participants from every province and territory will be chosen randomly to take part in a virtual camp in . During the camp, they will join astronauts, scientists and engineers for a week of space training!
Parents and educators can sign up for our email distribution list to receive the latest news about the Junior Astronauts campaign.
Want to know even more?
Not in the right age group?
Fun activities are also available on our website for youth from K to 12, educators and parents – no registration required! Check them out! Visit often because we will continue to add to these.
Help us spread the word!
Organizations, associations, collaborators and media that would like to promote the Junior Astronauts campaign to Canadian youth, educators, parents and youth group leaders can find visuals and informational materials in our online information kit.
- Date modified: