Mandate letter for the Science Advisor to the President
Dr. John E. Moores,
York Research Chair in Space Exploration
Associate Dean, Research and Graduate Studies
Dept. of Earth and Space Science and Engineering
4700 Keele Street, Toronto, Ontario
M3J 1P3, Canada
Dear Dr. Moores,
I am very pleased that you have agreed to become the Science Advisor to the President of the Canadian Space Agency (CSA). You will be part of my executive team, and I look forward to your active participation in the discussions at the CSA's Executive Committee table. You will also have the opportunity to collaborate extensively with Canada's Chief Science Advisor and the network of Departmental Science Advisors (DSAs) from other Departments and Agencies within the Canadian government.
During your tenure at the Canadian Space Agency, you will serve as a neutral sounding board for senior officials and decision makers when debating science-related issues, to make recommendations and provide strategic advice on science and science policy issues, as they relate to space, and to act as a link between the CSA and external stakeholders.
Your specific duties will include:
- Advise the President and collaborate with the members of the CSA Executive Committee to promote science priorities for the Canadian Space Program;
- Represent and promote the Canadian space science portfolio, including fostering partnerships on space research with other government departments and internationally;
- Communicate the societal impact and breadth of CSA's science investments, as the principal public-facing Science Advisor for CSA;
- Promote engagement, facilitate networking on space science and strengthen relationships with the Canadian research community, including Universities, Industry and the Granting councils;
- Promote equity, diversity and inclusion, as well as capacity development opportunities for young professionals in the field of space science and engineering and other domains related to Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM);
As part of the Science Advisor Network headed by Canada's Chief Science Advisor, Dr. Mona Nemer, you will be liaising and integrating a team of DSAs that will be advising the Government of Canada on cross cutting science issues, sharing best practices, and collaborating on multi-departmental initiatives.
In conclusion, I know I can count on you to fulfill the important responsibilities entrusted upon you. In turn, you can count on my unconditional support to ensure you succeed in your role as our Science Advisor.
Once again, welcome to the CSA family. I am looking forward to working with you on advancing Canada's space science priorities.
- John Moores, Science Advisor to the President
- Employee and partner profiles
- Careers, jobs and internships in the space sector
- Date modified: