Evaluation Summary of the Class Grant and Contribution Program
Evaluation of the Class Grant and Contribution Program
What is the Class Grant and Contribution Program?
In place since , the Canadian Space Agency's Class Grant and Contribution Program promotes space-related research and development to support knowledge development and innovation to address Canada's space priorities.
It is the only federal grant and contribution program entirely dedicated to the development of the space sector.
About the evaluation
Evaluation covers the period of to
Conducted by the Canadian Space Agency's Evaluation function from - in response to the Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat's Policy on Evaluation () and to the Policy on Transfer Payments ().
The evaluation's purpose is to provide decision-makers and Canadians an evidenced-based, neutral assessment of the Class G&C Program's value for money with respect to both the program's continued relevance and performance.
The evaluation used a mixed-methods approach that combined qualitative and quantitative analyses which included:
- Program documents and archival data review
- Survey to 124 key informants (funding recipients, non-recipients and Canadian Space Agency employees)
- Telephone interviews with 4 federal transfer payment programs to provide points of comparison and identify best practices.
What have we learned?
The program's objectives are consistent with both federal and departmental priorities and the program falls within the federal government's jurisdiction.
There is a continued need for the program to continue supporting capacity development and collaboration, and fund projects in priority areas.
The program is effective and achieved all its intended outcomes:
- Space-related S&T knowledge has increased and disseminated.
- Canada's focus on space has increased, as have national and international collaborations which led to increased space-related capacities and successful multidisciplinary collaborations.
How can we improve the program?
The Program produced good value with respect to use of public funds by achieving its expected outcomes and bolstering Canada's reputation for space research and development through modest and flexible investments.
- Date modified: