The Canadian Science Challenge
On December 19, 2012, Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield blasted off for a five-month mission aboard the International Space Station (ISS) during which he and his crew will perform some 130 Canadian and international experiments.
In September 2012, the Canadian Space Agency (CSA) invited young Canadians under the age of 19 to design their own science experiments only using items already available on the space station.
A panel of scientists, engineers and astronaut will pick the best submissions from across Canada. The experiment with the most votes will be performed by Chris Hadfield, aboard the ISS during a live Earth to space connection with the winning classroom.
The Science Challenge also had a "At Home" category for homeschooled students or eager budding scientists. The lucky winner(s) of this category will receive a phone call from Chris Hadfield in space to talk about their experiment and ask him questions live from the ISS!
Secondary Prizes (both categories): The top 10 finalists will receive mission memorabilia and an autographed photo of Chris.
Thank you everyone for participating!
"Ring it out" from Kendra and Meredith in grade 10 from Lockview High School in Fall River, NS, was selected as the winning experiment of the "At School" category.
"Minimizing surface tension in microgravity" from Linda (18 years old) from Mississauga, ON, is the winner of the "At Home" category.
Congratulations to the Top 10 runners-up.
Prizes for the top 10 finalist will be mailed in the coming weeks.
(List is in alphabetic order.)
- Capillary Action from Shruti, Sofia, Dhriti, Emma and Olivia in grades 6 & 7 from W.Erskine Johnston Public School in Kanata, ON. (Teacher: Laura Argue)
- Cutting water with scissors from Sarah, Walid, Bailo, Junior and Samy in grade 7 from Étienne-Brûlé in Toronto, ON. (Teacher: Nicole Stogaitis)
- Juggling in space from Amanda, Lesley, Kirsten, David, Mark and Stephen in grade 11 from Bishop College in St John's, NL. (Teacher: Darla O'Reilly)
- Jump rope in space from Tyler, Jaedon, Chidera, Lila and Valentina in grade 5 from Mother Mary Greene Elementary in Calgary, AB. (Teacher Ita Kistorma)
- The effect of microgravity on the diffusion of molecules in water from Mayuri (12 years old) from London, ON.
- The spaceriffic plastic baggie experiment from Kove, Catherine, Amanda, Mackenzie, Kyle and Luke in grade 5 from Canadian Martyrs in Burlington, ON. (Teacher: Bernice Marie O'Hara)
- Sky-high rope jumping challenge from Josh, Andrew, Sarah, Natalie and Holly in grade 12 from Bishop College in St. John's, NL. (teacher Darla O'Reilly)
- Space Gymnastics from Muhammad, Ileana and Sean in grade 6 from Chris Hadfield Public School in Milton, ON. (Teacher Dana Cargil)
- Static energy with Curtis, Alex and Nathan in grade 6 from École catholique Saint-Charles in Timmins, ON. (teacher: Renée Chartrand)
- Water glove from Naomi, Julie, Jasmine, Sean and Erika from Courtland Park International Elementary in Saint-Bruno, QC. (teacher Julie Janukavicius)
- Date modified: